In a recent email from Cleveland’s excellent music venue the Beachland Ballroom, I came across a listing for a group called Stick Figure. After initially mistaking it for a continuation of the band that included Jack McDowell when he was with the Cleveland Indians in the late 1990s, I discovered that it was something completely different.
Stick Figure interested me for a few reasons:
- First and foremost, I checked out their music on Bandcamp and really liked it. It’s reggae-based with groovy dub vibes and slight tinges of pop/EDM production to it, which I find really appealing.
- It’s very well produced, and I dig the sonic landscape.
- It’s created by one person, Scott Woodruff, a self-taught musician. Sounds eerily familiar to me.
- Scott tours with a band, which is cool in that he can take this music he’s done himself and bring it to people in a live setting.
- A few of the songs on their latest release feature guest artists (including Slightly Stoopid).
So if you’re into that kind of cool vibey music, go check it out and support someone who’s making cool tunes.